Do I need a visa? 

If you are from a country that is not a member of the European Union, you will need a student visa to enter Italy if your program is more than 3 months long. For some countries, a visa may be required for studies under 90 days. Obtaining a student visa when indicated is mandatory by Italian law and must be obtained before you arrive. Applying for a student visa is a completely separate process from applying to be enrolled at the university.


Where will I live?

Apartments are located throughout the Florence city center and all within a 15-20 walk to our facilities. Apartments are shared with other university students with fully furnished kitchens, washing machines and internet access. 


How will I get to class?

Florence is a very walkable city and the best way to get around the center of Florence is on foot. There is public transportation available should you wish to take a bus to class but keep in mind that it is usually more direct to walk.


Can I have mail sent to my apartment?

Mail should be sent for you directly to the Student Life offcie. It is easier for you and more reliable to receive your mail at school since there is always someone to accept it and also because your name does not appear anywhere on the apartment mailbox.


What if I come by myself? 

Many students come by themselves to study abroad. Our wide variety of daily activities as well as EFL, Education Field Learning trips, helps students to easily immerse themselves in the Florentine community and meet fellow students from all over the world. 


What if I don't speak Italian?

Florence is an easy city to navigate even if you do not speak Italian and in the city center one can usually find someone that can speak some rudimentary English. However, we strongly suggest that you learn some basic phrases before you come to Italy, in order to help you become a member of the Florentine community, not just another foreigner. 


Will I be able to integrate into Italian society?

This aspect of study abroad highly depends on the student's willingness and ability to step out of their comfort zone and branch out to the local community. The Student Life department does offer a variety of options for cultural immersion: service learning, community outreach volunteering opportunities, Chat Pal conversation exchange program and much more! Ask your advisor to receive more detailed information.


Is Florence a safe city? 

Florence is considered safe and there is a relatively low rate of violent crimes compared to other cities, however petty crimes may happen. We recommend that students keep in mind safety tips that would apply to any big city when traveling in general and while in Florence.


Once in Italy, who can I contact for health or safety-related matters?

University onsite staff will be able to advise you on how to reach public or private clinics/hospitals, embassies, consulates or the police station. During orientation you will receive general information about health, safety and wellbeing, useful numbers and directions to English speaking clinics in Florence, as well as the  24-hour emergency cell phone contact information.


What will the weather be like in Florence?

Average annual temperatures are around 15C (59F).

The average temperature of the coldest month, January, is usually below 7C (44F).

July is usually the hottest month of the year and the average temperature is above 25C (77F) in the urban area.


What should I pack in my luggage?

Pack Light! Just bring the essentials; you can usually buy anything you need once in Florence.


I have a pre-existing medical condition. How should I prepare?

Students with existing medical conditions should ensure, prior to departure, that any medical supplies they may need whilst abroad can either be carried from home in their checked luggage or prescribed and purchased in Italy directly.


It is not advisable for students to have any medicine shipped via postal service from their home country as the package will require documentation forms of importation to Italy and will likely get held at Customs. Please also note that certain prescription drugs that are used in your country may be illegal in Italy and will not be allowed to pass through customs. Foreign prescriptions are not accepted in Italian pharmacies and, unless the medication the student needs can be sold over the counter in Italy, it will be necessary to have it prescribed by a doctor in Florence (you will receive a list of English speaking clinics and Doctors during Orientation).

I still have a lot of questions! 

What should I do?